29 April 2011

Celebrate the Royal Wedding

By Vicki Felgate, Freinds of the Earth (Publishing & New Media Team)

I blogged about the royal wedding last month, speculating about how green it will be.

A few things have happened since then.

William and Kate announced an alternative wedding list, asking people to donate to charity instead of giving presents. 26 charities will benefit. Sadly Friends of the Earth didn't make the cut. But loads of great charities did.

And we're all being encouraged to organise street parties to celebrate the wedding. Now I like a good party as much as the next person. But I keep thinking about all the plastic cups and plates that will get used once and then thrown in the bin. And most of it will end up in landfill.

I'm not organising a party. But if I was, I'd make it a green one:

Ask people to bring their own crockery, cutlery and glasses.
Use cloth table covers instead of paper ones.
Serve tap water not bottled.
Buy local, organic food and fair-trade chocolate for the cakes.
Make decorations from old paper and fabric.
Use biodegradable balloons.
I might even go the extra mile and hire in a cycle-powered sound system.

Whatever you decide to do for the royal wedding, have fun and keep it green.

No comments:

Post a Comment